Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Dodged A Bullet

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:53:43 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/29/2014 11:33 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
John McCoy wrote in
:

Bill wrote in news:m7qkvq02293
@news6.newsguy.com:

I know some people are using the cloud. I'm not sure whether they
are smarter than me or not.

I do not trust the cloud for that purpose - too many pieces in
the line (servers, network, etc) which might fail at an inconvenient
time. To me the cloud is for collaboration - stuff I want other
people to have access to - not backup storage.

Although that's an important reason for distrusting the cloud, IMHO
there's an even more important one: security. I certainly wouldn't
store tax returns or banking records on the cloud.

That's my biggest reason for not using cloud based storage. Between the
ongoing issues with credit card fraud (in a system that is inherently more
secure than your typical hosted storage provider), and what we are already
seeing now with cloud storage being hacked, I'm not good at all with
trusting my information to a provider out there somewhere. Security is a
joke and people are becoming too trusing of providers who "assure" the
integrity of their security.

FWIW all of your personal and confidential information is stored on some
type of cloud whether you initiated it or not. If you want your
personal information to remain private do not ever put it on any
computer connected to the internet or use a credit card, or use a bank,
or.....you get the idea. Just because you don't use the cloud to store
you data does not mean that some institution does not store your
personal data there.

Just because someone stores your information somewhere in the "cloud"
doesn't mean you should compound the problem by volunteering to store
more on another server with unknown/suspect security. Maybe you want
to post your SSN & DOB here? ;-)