Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default O/T: Dodged A Bullet

On 12/28/14, 10:45 PM, wrote:

My last computer ran 24/7 for almost 10 years without any drive
failure. That was Windows 98 upgraded to XP.
Just upgraded ton a brand new Win7 machine and it runs 24/7 as well
(but this one has WS Red hard drives - old one was IBM DTTA 351290
dated Dec 98 , made in Hungary, of all places!!!)
My experience has been running 24/7 can often last longer than being
shut down and restarted as the bearings don't flatspot and stick on
restart. That addresses the mechanical failures - but not the
electronic failures - where power surges from start-up can also
shorten the life of the drive. My computer is on a Powerware Prestige
dual conversion UPS so it gets perfectly clean power all the time.

At my work we deal with multiple petabytes (1000 terabytes) of HD
storage. I'm always probing the DM people about which drives they use
and the current 'go-to' drive seems to be the WD yellows. This does
change every few years as some other drive maker figures out a new trick
for longer life.

-BR

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---