Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default O/T: Dodged A Bullet

Bill wrote in news:m7qkvq02293
@news6.newsguy.com:

It takes less than 2 minutes to backup everything to an external hard
drive ($70, these days?) once a week. Then you don't have to be lucky.

What he said. You can get a terabyte drive for under $100, and
most of them come with backup software pre-installed.

In my case, I have two external drives - I keep all my data files
on one (the computer drive just has the OS and applications), and
I periodically just copy all the data files to the other.

I know some people are using the cloud. I'm not sure whether they are
smarter than me or not.

I do not trust the cloud for that purpose - too many pieces in
the line (servers, network, etc) which might fail at an inconvenient
time. To me the cloud is for collaboration - stuff I want other
people to have access to - not backup storage.

Plus in the case of Apple I would not trust them not to make
my data inaccessible to me if I haven't upgraded to the newest
version of their product/OS.

John