Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Chilly evening ...

On Thu, 8 Jan 2015 07:14:16 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

David R. Birch wrote:
On 1/8/2015 3:11 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I just added a 3rd droplight in the shop , and left all the
overhead lights on for the night . It's 19° and dropping , and I
need to keep the shop warm enough that my beer doesn't freeze .

3 am , 3° ... got up to check the fire , no frozen pipes ... and I
ain't going out to the shop to check the beer , if it's froze , it's
froze .

5:54AM, -6F

David

7:08 AM , it was at 1° when I got up at 6:30 and the camper water supply
hose is frozen . Just went out to the shop to get a space heater to put
under the camper , the beer survived just fine . I keep a bottle of water in
that ref so I know when I've cranked it too cold . Under the house temp has
plunged all the way to 45° ... but I'd bet it's a bit colder than that under
the camper , there's a couple of holes like for the black water drain valve
access . Well , now I know how cold it needs to get before I waste water
leaving a faucet dripping .

We hit 20F this morning (Georgetown, Texas). I've seen colder. But
like most houses down here on slabs, the pipes are in the attic. I
let some faucets drip any time it gets down to the mid 20's. It just
ain't worth the risk. And no, I don't miss having a basement at all.

Pete Keillor