James Barley

Default avoiding warp in wet turned bowls

Earl wrote:
"James Barley" wrote in message news:B2Umc.407136$Ig.142748@pd7tw2no...

I went and checked out a few pawn shops, and sure enough, I picked up a
"large" microwave, and I beat the dealer down to $20 bucks, to boot.
Now my shop, er, studio that is, has it's own dedicated micro-wave.

Please let us know how it works. As I said, it works great for me,
but I don't read about many people using the microwave technique.

Earl

Earl,
I guess I should have mentioned that I purchased this microwave oven
several years ago.
I for what I use it for it works fine.
My method of use is quite simple, I use it to heat up freshly turned
green-wet rough outs, this drives a lot of water to the surface right
now, and I feel it gives the "bound water" cells in the piece a bad time
also.
Secondly, and my real reason for this initial heat treatment, is to
neutralize some of the mold spores and cut down on almost all of the
mold-mildew problems one can get from green turnings.

Regards
James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley