Wright Sound Systems Wright Sound Systems is offline
Junior Member

[quote='Silver Surfer[_2_];1874422']Does anyone recall those power saving "discs" for light bulbs they were
selling back during the oil embargo days of the 70's. The disc was placed
in a standard light bulb fixture and the light bulb was screwed in next.
The disc was nothing more than a diode that "saved energy" by blocking power
to the bulb for half of each cycle.

Is anyone still making these things? If so, where can I buy them

Like many good ideas, the Bulb Saver has gone out of style, partly because of new low power bulbs, and also because they were misunderstood. A diode can easily be inserted in the circuit inside the fixture, inline at the power cord, or even at the light switch. It cuts the voltage by .707 so cuts the power about in half. Of course it dims the bulb - that's the point ! It will extend bulb life tremendously, even halogen, and is very useful for decorative bulbs that are only available in certain wattages, but are just too darn bright. It is no different than dimming about 1/4, just not adjustable. I have some track lights in my hallway that were way too bright, they are on a dimmer but were still super bright . . . added a diode, now they are perfect. Don't let anyone tell you that they won't work - THEY WORK GREAT !