Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default And Now You Know

On 12/27/2014 7:39 PM, John McCoy wrote:
wrote in :

On 12/27/2014 2:25 PM, John McCoy wrote:

Anyway, the line from Amarillo up toward Lamar is and always
has been Santa Fe - it doesn't actually go to Lamar, it bends
west to La Junta.

That's the one the UP CO map shows, the nationwide one at

http://www.up.com/aboutup/reference/maps/system_map/index.htm

shows both. The eastern branch basically parallels US 287 which is

The branch I'm speaking of does, however, go on up past Lamar, not
west to Pueblo...

OK, now I'm confused. Usually when I go that way I go up thru
Dalhart and across the corner of NM to I-25, but I have taken
the US287 route a couple of times. I'm pretty sure there isn't
a railroad paralleling US287 at Lamar...BNSF (with UP trackage
rights) parallels it from Amarillo to just over the CO border
where it bends off to La Junta (and eventually Pueblo), which
I'm pretty sure is the line the UP map shows. And at Kit Carson
you pick up the KP line up to Limon and Denver. But in between,
other than crossing the Santa Fe and Missouri Pacific lines,
I don't recall there being any railroad alongside US287.

Coming from farther south, that makes sense...we're starting from north
of Dalhart (but east, of course), so we have to follow the N-S routes of
which there are several choices but absolutely no mileage difference
until get up to US50 to Lamar to pick up 287 to cut off the corner.
Otherwise it's straight N all the way to Colby to I70 which are the two
sides of the triangle...

IIRC, it's several miles N of Lamar before you can see any signs and
then it's not directly alongside but off to the west. Good chance never
notice it unless you see the trains; it's that far enough away from the
actual road...

I couldn't seem to find a map that has both rail and roads on it any
more to see more detail...