Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A billionaire explains the middle class

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 09:56:14 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"David R. Birch" wrote in message
On 12/26/2014 11:28 AM, wrote:

I do not think there is any constitutional argument for requiring
all
employees to punch a time clock. You can't justify making
requirements on just wanting more data for the government.

Dan

No need for a constitutional argument, it's just a condition for
employment. No salaried positions, all on the clock. It would give
new perspective on how much actual value is in many management
jobs(as in, not much).

David

I've discussed that with my father, who had been an Air Corps
company
commander during WW2 and held a high position in NH State
government.
He made a good case that an effective manager can run an operation
smoothly enough that he doesn't have to be present to keep his thumb
on it all the time.

True, but look what has happened to a nearly unrestricted
Congress...
Talk about a 'poster child' against Democracy.

He took me on a lot of his trips around the state to visit his local
state park and ski resort managers, compliment them on their good
work, get in some fishing (and observing) and by the way show that
he
was always paying attention to detail, like if a vehicle
suspiciously
needed tires too often.

You got the talk, eh?

"Son, just because my GTO has a 389cid with a six-pack on top, a
Borg
Warner T-10 close-ratio gearbox, and a 4.11 posi rear end, =doesn't=
mean that when you borrow it..."

Dad never owned anything like that. My high school buddies, the sons
of doctors and lawyers, had the hot cars.

He was watching the purchase records for state-owned vehicles to catch
people selling the tires. Corruption was very limited in NH, the
ambitious crooks just moved to Massachusetts.

He knew the tricks because his Air Corps company had been in the South
Pacific where "repurposing" government equipment without authorization
was standard practice, to gain an edge on the Japs and improve the
primitive living conditions. The natives in New Guinea had no money to
buy stolen goods so MacArthur looked the other way and sent
complaining supply officers home for "combat fatigue".

Their Officers' Club had a beer chiller made from a misplaced Jeep
engine. His first mission on arriving in the Phillipines was to drive
his Jeep onto an 'available' cargo plane for a two-barrel booze run to
Manila.

http://wargamer.com/article/3437/his...-5th-air-force
Accounts vary on whether the Dutch B-25 bombers were reassigned or
stolen.