Posted to rec.woodworking
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Ping Lew: Thinning Epoxy

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"G. Ross" wrote:

I use West 5 min. epoxy to fill hairline cracks in bowls. Is there a
common solvent that will thin it a bit (either before or after mixing
? I have noticed that a dab of alcohol based dye will make it more
stringy but not thinner. Strength is not important, but hardness
after curing is. Thanks.

You could use denatured alcohol up to about 5% by weight; however,
for what you are trying to do, think I would hit the crack with a heat
gun
after applying the epoxy.

I have zip experience with 5 min epoxy but they have already played
with the formulation to get the 5 min time.

Lew

Thanks!

--
 GW Ross