william kossack

Default avoiding warp in wet turned bowls

thanks

denver many times gets down to 10-20 percent humidity in the summer and
really also in the winter so mold is not really a problem. I have
several aquariums in the house and even the ones in the basement go down
by an inch and a half in a week from evaporation (the large 65 gallon
aquarium can go down by a couple inches)

George wrote:

I'm blessed with a basement, so 3/4-1" thick on a 9-12" piece is pretty much
the way I go. I spin the shape up to throw as much water as possible, then
set it to dry in open air until I no longer see wet on the surface. This to
keep from mildew in woods prone to it.

Only then would I coat, If I coated any more, which I don't because it
seemed to grow mildew,and no change in shrink, therefore in split. I also
tried the cross-grain brace, end grain brace,and circles. Every one
promoted splitting, in my opinion. Never lost so many roughs. Back to my
original method,which keeps them low in the basement for a couple-three
weeks,then on to the shelf until I turn again. I have tented them in
newsprint, worked fine, and bags the same, though you really need to change
the paper or bag a couple times early on or get mildew problems. I hate to
fuss,so the present system is what I use. If you're in a _really_ dry
climate, you might consider a big box with modest venting where you can set
a batch. Wet below, dry above, move as required, and that is a reasonable
substitute for a basement at my house.

When they start to deform, they can be moved up, or taken from under cover,
as they have decided to relieve tension by gentle rather than catastrophic
movement.

"william kossack" wrote in message
newsoZlc.34324$kh4.1693690@attbi_s52...

I'm trying to solve a problem coming from the fact that most of my bowls
are turned from sopping wet wood.

SNIP

I ran upon a couple unique solutions for the warping problem and I'm
wondering if anyone here has tried them.

Some ausi turners mentioned putting a stick into the roughed out bowl
against the grain ends to prevent warp from closing in from that
direction. Another post suggested circles cut from MDF.

Any thoughts?