william kossack

Default avoiding warp in wet turned bowls

I had thought about LDD but only remembered it for avoiding cracking not
warp which for many seemed
to be a seconary problem.

By your duh! you say it will solve problems of warp?

Leif Thorvaldson wrote:

Well, duh! Have you deliberately ignored all talk about the LDD solution to
your problem?

Leif
"william kossack" wrote in message
newsoZlc.34324$kh4.1693690@attbi_s52...

I'm trying to solve a problem coming from the fact that most of my bowls
are turned from sopping wet wood.

I've not had too much problem with cracking but my finished bowls are
warping considerably. As an experiment I've started few new bowls using
very wet wood and then buried them in paper bags filled with fresh
shavings inorder to slow the drying process. Using this process I have
placed 5 bowls in bags over the past month and only found cracking in
one. However that one had a rather large tenon and a bottom much thicker
than the sides. None of the others appear to have cracking in them.

One question is how long to leave the rough turned bowl in the bag. In
denver the humidity runs fairly low but I don't know if that should be a
factor or not. I've heard anything from a couple weeks to many months.

Another question is how thick to leave the rough turned bowl. This
should depend on how much warp I might get as the bowl is drying. Most
solutions to the problem of cracking and warping seem to mainly be for
cracking.

One solution would be to wait until the logs/blanks are dry before
turning them but frankly I don't have enough room to store large logs
for years and years.

I ran upon a couple unique solutions for the warping problem and I'm
wondering if anyone here has tried them.

Some ausi turners mentioned putting a stick into the roughed out bowl
against the grain ends to prevent warp from closing in from that
direction. Another post suggested circles cut from MDF.

Any thoughts?