Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A bit of excitement (not entirely OT)

On 2014-12-23, Don Foreman wrote:
A few on this forum have said that they've liked reading my
occasional scribbles. This is for y'all old metalworking buds;
enjoy!
---
The lazy, careless paper carrier "delivered" my paper near but not on
my front stoop again this morning. It was in a plastic bag, but it
was raining and the bag wasn't completely closed so a corner of the
paper got wet. Guess what carrier ain't gettin' any Xmas tip from
me?

OK, thought I, I'll dry it out in the microwave. I've done that with
wet paperback books before. They're not pretty when done because the
pages get wrinkly and swell and the steam doesn't do the spine
binding adhesive any good, but it does dry the pages so they're
readable. Microwaves heat water, but not paper. It can't get hotter
than the boiling point of water, and when the water is boiled off then
no further heating occurs. That's what's supposed to happen and what
has always worked in the past.

Hmm ... another approach is if you have a good vacuum pump, and
a housing large enough to hold the paper, to just pump it dry.

This is used for recovering collectible books after water
damage, with the addition of first freezing it in liquid nitrogen, which
forms ice crystals which separate the pages, then the vacuum sublimes
the ice directly to vapor.

[ ... ]

So what happened? My friend Vicki says that someone told her today
that newspaper is now made from recycled paper that has metal in it.
That could explain it, I guess.

Hmm ... I would also have not expected it to get that hot. Glad
to be warned.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--