Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt[_2_] Dave Platt[_2_] is offline

Default are there any cool window candle incandescent bulbs?

In article ,
Sam Seagate wrote:

So, I could replace the LEDs I guess with 5 W equivalent LED ones I see
on the web these days, but they seem expensive. Are there any candle
incandescents that burn cool especially when up against something like
curtains?

Incandescents are all about the same efficiency (10% or so) with the
rest of the power going into heat. Halogens are a bit more efficient
but not by all that much.

The LED "candle" bulbs I see listed at Home Depot are 25-40 watt
"equivalent". If your neighbors have incandescents of a similar light
output then they're probably dissipating about that much heat, which
is not something I'd want to have pushed up close against a curtain.
If the curtain got snagged over top of the bulb you might have heat
damage to the curtain, or possibly even a fire after a while.

Candle bulbs have small bases, and can't be dissipating much of the
heat that way... almost all of it must be coming out through the
envelope. They're gonna be toasty.

I believe the pricey "5 W equivalent" LEDs you are referring to, are
actually "5 W consumption". They put out a whole lot more light than
a 5-watt incandescent bulb... these are the LEDs used in tactical
flashlights, which on full power can be quite blinding.