Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Space heater problem

On 24 Dec 2014 15:37:52 GMT, KenK wrote:

I've got a several-year-old Holmes floor model space heater (no model
number on it) that shuts off the heat, though set to maximum, while the
area is still too cold. It worked fine last winter.

I assume it's a thermostat problem. I suspect it's fatal but if anyone
knows of something that might help you'll save me the expense of a new
heater.

TIA

I have electric heaters made with no thermostat at all. People just had
to remember to turn them off. If they didn't, it got too hot, but
still didn't cause a fire If something that an electric heater can set
fire to is close enough to be a hazard, it's a hazard right away, long
before the thermostat will turn the heater off.

They are also a hazard if they fall over or are knocked over. if a
person knocks one over, he should put it upright again. If you have a
baby or a toddler or anyone so young he doesn't know what to do,
including pets, he shouldnt' have access to the heater even if it is
upright.

One of my heaters my mother bought when I was born, almost 68 years ago,
because the bathroom (which was the size of a medium-sized bedroom in
those days) didn't get hot enough. It has a foot switch on the front
and was in perfect condition, even the cloth or silk covered cord, until
10 or 20 years ago. It was stored under the sink, along with toilet
bowl cleaner in a cardboard cylinder. I let the cleaner sit there too
long and eventually humidity must have helped it escape the cardboard,
and the chrome on the heater ended up pitted, like a car's chrome.
But the heater still works fine.

It has a built-in fan, and I also have another one with no fan at all.
I like that one because it makes no noise. However, despite all the
posts I've made about my furnace problems, I've never used any electric
heater here.

Anyone know if there are there external thermostats he could get to turn
off the AC when the room is warm. After bypassiing whatever is broken
inside.

BTW, Ken, I don't know where your road service thread is, but when I'm
80, I probbly won't want to change tires either. One suggestion in
addition to no-flat tires is Fix-a-flat in a can or compeittors like
Slime. It has gooey stuff inside that some mechanics don't like, but
it also has compressed air inside, and if the leak is not big, can
usually pump up the tire to where it's rideable.