Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Casting practice

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 12/21/2014 6:43 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It's been a while since I molded and cast anything , so I decided
to get a little practice today . First melt was an old cast aluminum
decorative skeleton key . Wall hanging doodad , about 2 feet long
and 4 or 5 lbs of aluminum . Next was to mold up a disc that'll be
an end cap on a ball mill cylinder . That went well so I cut up a
couple of ingots snd fired the furnace back up . I'm going to have
to address the hydrogen porosity I'm seeing with some of my stock .
I've tried chlorine pool granules and that works well enough , but
the fumes are dangerous so I'm thinking about bubbling some CO2 in
the melt to degas . Anyway , the pour came out well too other than
the H2 microbubbles , and that piece is in the lathe now for
machining .

I saw the header and my mind immediately went to fishing. I thought
you were about to reveal one of your secrets.

My fishing secret is that I don't ... I think the last time I wet a hook was
probably 25 years ago .

--
Snag