BillV

Default Low roof - loft conversion?

"Matthew Durkin" wrote in message
Hi All,
I have wondered for a while about convering our attic space into something
useful - the usual, add a dorma on the back and roof windows on the front.
In terms of floorspace it's pretty good (we have a 1900 terrace so the

loft
covers most of the rooms below), but the roof is quite shallow, and at its
highest point is only about 5'11''.
Are there any options here? Can we even do a conversion on a roof this

low?
Could we extend the roof height?
Any advice much appreciated. I started a new thread as the other loft
conversion one was a bit different!
Thanks,
Matt

There seem to be very strict regs on head clearance at the top of the access
stairs and loads of other safety related things to do with loft conversions.
Several properties of that era I've viewed turned out to have the so-called
extra bedroom(s) in un-official loft conversion that never would pass.
Purchasers' surveyors easily spotted them and the impact on selling price
can be quite large e.g. "Two bed" flat had to be changed to "One bed flat
with roof storage room" by estate agent...
Ask your local BCO, They can be quite helpful.
Info may even be on the LA's web site many have; just google search
"Loft conversion regulations"