Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Casting practice

F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:13:44 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:
snip
I'm doing the same thing using pool chlorine granules . My cup
needs to be larger I think .

snip
short piece of black iron [no zinc] pipe. Hold in tongs or
weld to rod. Use aluminium foil on each end. Fill with
generic chlorine pool shock treatement. Plunge below
surface and agitate, being careful not to breath the fumes.

In using "dirty"/salvage aluminium I have had some success
in using a good amount of kosher salt as a flux. Dump in
enough to form a skin when the charge melts and skim the
large amount of dross that usually forms.

I've used borax in brass melts as a cover to help slow oxidation and zinc
fuming , never considered it for a cover flux with aluminum . I've also used
crushed glass with brass , what a mess that made . The set of rims these
ingots came from were cheap wheels , spun/stamped/welded assemblies and they
were pretty nasty , road grime and such. The ones I have left to process are
cast and fairly clean . Maybe a combo of cover flux and chlorine degassing
will clean this stuff up .
--
Snag