Posted to uk.d-i-y
cd cd is offline

Default Concrete vs. Postcrete

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:56:15 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

"harryagain" wrote:
"cd" wrote in message
Hi all,

If I want to set a new wooden post into the ground, what's the
difference (FFS)?

Don't use either. Use the metal "hammer in" spikes, your posts will
last much longer.
Quicker too.

But look like ****e, wobble & rust. Also only take 3x3 posts which are
too weak for use anywhere with significant wind. Other than that, just
fine.

Tim

Look ****e? Possibly. Rust? Yes, even before they've been sold by the
retailer, I've noticed! Don't understand why they're not made from
galavanized or stainless steel. But there are 4" ones available; less
common but definitely available.
I've seen various ingenious contraptions people have come up with on
Youtube for removing posts, but am resigned to just drilling and digging
the damn thing out the hard way with a 600mm long auger and a "texas
toothpick" - anything more complicated seems an investment in wasted time
followed by doing it the hard way anyway. There ought to be a good few
quid in it for anyone who can come up with a compact, reliable and cost-
effective method; I don't think one's been devised yet.