Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Oil furnace won't stay running...

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:36:44 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

philo wrote:
On 12/23/2014 05:26 AM, wrote:
My oil heater starts but dont stay on & my green light keeps
flashing. It's set to reach a certain temperature & once it below
that temperature the heater is suppose to reach that set temperature
but it starts up &goes out after a few seconds.

First thing to do is replace the ceramic insulators, they can develop
small cracks.

If that does not clear things up, your transformer is probably bad

I'd think if the transformer was bad it wouldn't light at all . Sounds
more like a malf in the flame sensor circuitry to me .

I agree with this. The transformer should be fine since it does light.
The flame sensor has an element which is a photo-cell. If it sees light
(from the flame), it keeps burning. Those photo-cells can get filthy
from soot and crud. They need to be cleaned. Or the photo-cell or
another part of the flame sensor could be bad.

You could also be starving for fuel, if the inline oil filter is partly
clogged. When was that last changed?

I had an oil furnace in the past, and was glad to get rid of it. They
are always a struggle to keep working. If you're handy, pull the burner
out of the furnace and clean the sensor. Otherwise you may need to call
a professional. Oil furnaces are tough for the average home owner to
repair.

The oil filter change should be done yearly, so I'd do that either way,
if it has not been done in awhile.

One other thing, a pro will automatically change the nozzle. The spray
pattern has a lot of effect on how it burns. So, if you pull the burner
out, change the nozzle. You MUST use the correct one. They are rated
by the amount of oil used. (My old furnace was .75), and they are also
rated to the spray angle/pattern. Just match the numbers on the new one
to the old one.