Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Safety camera partnership

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
"Adrian" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Dec 2014 17:45:59 +0000, ARW wrote:

I thought the ACPO 'rule' was that there would be no prosecution
within speed limit + 10% + 2, ie 35mph or less in this instance.

I got a course for 46 in a 40, which is exactly 10% + 2.

The ACPO guideline is a guideline.

When did the guidelines start? According to the guidelines doing =66
in
a 40 zone is summons and I got away with a fixed penatly for doing that
10 years ago.

Many, many moons ago - and probably just semi-formalised what most
forces
would have been doing anyway. But they'll have been tickled-about over
the years, and have always been just guidelines.

The only thing that ISN'T a guideline is that 41mph in a 40mph is
illegal, and there's a range of penalties on prosecution, with 3pt/fixed
penalty being the only non-court option.

A course is an alternative to
prosecution, as is a bollocking from a real-live plod.

They can be good fun those real-life plods. I got stopped for using my
mobile phone whilst driving. The officer asked me why I had been stopped
and I said it was because I was using my phone. For answering correctly I
was told that I would not get a ticket (and the usual lecture where I
nodded at the appropiate times) and I could spent the £60 saved on the
fixed penaly on a hands free kit for my phone . He also told me that he
had already issued 30 tickets that day to people who denied using a phone
whilst driving and that all of them had the same opportunity as me to
admit what they had done.

So has it persuaded you not to use your phone whilst driving in future?

Yes.

I now use a hands free kit which cost less than the (then) £60 fine. Not
getting the lecture probably and the officers attitude did more to persuade
me to get the hands free kit than not getting the fine.

--
Adam