Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_3_] bert[_3_] is offline

Default Safety camera partnership

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , CB writes

I was cynical about being invited by the government to spend £85 with a
3rd party to avoid a criminal (points) record. However, having actually
been, it wasn't a complete waste of time, and the body running it are
actually a non-profit organisation (whatever that means ).

As I said, I would actually support a proposal to require drivers to
attend one every 10 years. It might pull up a few nasty habits.

But doesnt get even close to warranting the waste
of time involved in forcing everyone to do that.

Makes a lot more sense to only force those caught
speeding to do that.

Extend it to cover more than speeding (Middle lane hogging, not
checking your lights before you go out at night, tailgating - add your
pet hate here) and a compulsory "refresher" every 10 years might
improve the general standard of "carsmanship".

Compare it to private flying where periodic checks with qualified
instructors are mandatory to prevent to many bad habits being formed.

In the early days of the national sprayer regulations (agriculture)
points could be gained by undergoing an *on line* test.

Something similar might work for geriatrics like me who last
consciously studied the highway code in 1960!

I did an online test recently and surprised myself a bit by scoring
87/88 - the one I got wrong? Where do you find amber cats eyes on a
motorway
--
bert