Posted to alt.home.repair
scarecrow[_6_] scarecrow[_6_] is offline

Default Roadside assistance insurance

dpb wrote:

Might consider going with one of the self-sealing or "run flat"
self-supporting tires, then.

Several years back I bought a new Honda that came with run-flat tires.
It seemed a good selling point at the time but I found that it took
special equipment and training to change the tire and the vast
majority of tire shops couldn't do it. In my area the only place that
could change them was the Honda dealerships. If on a trip and you had
a flat (an air-out), and no authorized tire shop within the run flat
driving range, you drove to a tire shop and they removed the whole
tire/wheel assembly and a new tire/wheel was FedExed in by the next
day (hopefully). In the meantime you had to get a motel for the night.
Honest, that was Honda's solution. When I found out those details I
got the dealership to change our my run-flats for regular tires though
I had to sign my life away to do it. Something about the suspension
being designed for the run-flats. I kept the car for 3 years and never
had a flat so perhaps I wasted my time with that move. Hopefully
things are better with run-flats now.