Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Woodcraft & Festool Nepotism

" wrote:
On Monday, December 22, 2014 11:10:33 AM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I have no doubt the Festool is a better product, however it would be
nice to still have the choice considering the Bora is 1/3 the price of
the Festool.

I would consider it coincidence if it weren't for the lot of other
branded tools that have suspiciously disappeared from the Woodcraft
shelves a short time after getting in bed with Festool.

No coincidence at all. While there is no doubt as to the great quality
of Festool products, they have turned out to be a winner for Woodcraft as
well. Their sky high prices for their tools are also reflective of the
sky high margins that WC enjoys when selling those products.

Years ago when they got in bed with them, I had a pretty good friend that
managed our local store. He wasn't thrilled about the arrangement that
Festool wanted, which was a minimum amount of product in the store, a
minimum amount of shelf space, and a non negotiable price for their
products. In other words, Festool dictated all the terms of the relationship.

The attraction for the WC franchise owners were that they all got a
better price on Festool products than an average store or small chain
(better margins), and with price protection they never had to worry about
anyone's sales, or the biggest threat to the brick and mortar retailer, internet pricing.

I think they were smart to make that move for themselves, and in reality,
it never hurt anyone like me. I have always been a fiend for utility
value of a tool, probably reflective of over thirty years of self
employment. But sometime back it seems that WC realized that they were
no longer catering to professionals. This was pointed out to me when my
buddy pointed out to me I NEVER bought tools or consumables from him. I
only went to the store to purchase incidentals like pattern bits for my
router, a few odds tool bits, etc.

No professionals I work with, NONE, shop at WC. Like me, they consider
it an upscale hobby store that caters with folks with a lot of free time.
And I have only seen Festool tools on the job two times in the last 20
or so years; their Rotex sander used for its dust collecting ability, and
their 12V drill that was favored by a cabinet installer I knew. The only
two guys I know that use Festool professionally at this point are Karl
and Leon, and they get their money's worth.

I think that WC's current selection of tools is reflective of the client
they wish to serve, the well heeled hobbyist that just enjoys owning a fine tool.

Robert

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. I do however think you can
still buy the common and less expensive brands of power tools through WC
but in many cases you have to order them. Probably from the WC central
ware house. I think it would be a hard sell on Festool if there were
several alternatives readily available on the shelves. I'll add that had
I not first bought the Domino and the Festool dust extractor I may to this
day might not own any Festool tools. That might be the case for Karl too.
But once I experienced the quality and time saving features, adding
sanders, a drill, a saw, a work bench and assorted clamps and tracks was
not quite so difficult to swallow.
I absolutely understand why contractors like yourself don't use Festool.
You provide, share, and often loose sight of your tools on a job site.
Since Karl and I are basically the only ones that touch our Festools we
don't so much fear some one breaking the tool or that tool walking away.