Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default I hate plumbing repairs

Keith Nuttle wrote:
On 12/22/2014 11:47 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/22/2014 11:37 AM, Baxter wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in news:lP2dnY3h-
:

On 12/21/2014 10:19 AM, mungedaddress wrote:
To help avoid the latter issue I will once / twice a year fill the
shower / sinks with drain cleaner and let it sit. Some times I will do
it on a three day weekend. Then run hot water when we get back. Helps
reduce hair and gunk build up in the traps.

Mike in Ohio

My AC guy turned me on to using white vinegar. Cheap and safe and was
ultimately what unclogged a bathroom vanity drain after religiously
using, the safe for the environment, drain cleaners that seemed to make
the problem worse. Need a little more umph? Add baking soda.

After getting the drains cleared, I've used BioKleen to good effect -
keeps
them from re-cloging

I tried the "Bio" cleaners too and actually thought they were working. I
used them before I had a problem, brand new home. But then one day the
drain got slow and slower and slower over the course of about 18 months,
and I was still using the Bio cleaner monthly.

The vinegar and baking soda opened it up like new after two over night
applications. I now just pour vinegar in the drain and let sit over
night each month.

I have found that a cup of TIDE laundry soap in the drain works as well
as anything. Add the soap and let it set as long as possible, then flush it out.

Laundry soaps are designed to dissolve oils and proteins from human
skin. Usually that is what clogs a drain. Especially the big ones.

Vinegar will do the same plus it will kill algie, a common drain stopper
upper from the the AC condensation drain line that ties into a sink. Add
baking soda and you get a foaming action.