Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A bit of excitement (not entirely OT)

On 12/23/2014 1:12 AM, Don Foreman wrote:
A few on this forum have said that they've liked reading my
occasional scribbles. This is for y'all old metalworking buds;
enjoy!
---
The lazy, careless paper carrier "delivered" my paper near but not on
my front stoop again this morning. It was in a plastic bag, but it
was raining and the bag wasn't completely closed so a corner of the
paper got wet. Guess what carrier ain't gettin' any Xmas tip from
me?

I went to Wally's and got a new monkeywave today, very similar to the
late and lamented that is now bagged and tagged to be recycled -- and
(METAL CONTENT) I now have an MOT (microwave oven transformer) under
my workbench that may become a spot welder or who knows whut?

Meanwhile, I'm playing with the notion of making a very simple
induction heater for annealing the necks of rifle brass. I don't
have to make sense, I'm RETIRED!

I was doing an experiment to see how well staples held in kiln-dried
beech at different moisture levels. After testing different samples I
wanted something drier so put a block in the office microwave. In just
a couple of minutes the stench that filled the office was nothing like
burning wood, it was horrible and lingered for days. The wood block
started to char very quickly even though the moisture was only 7%.

Did the smell seem normal? (for a flaming microwave stuffed with paper)