Ed Sirett

Default British Gas mark-up

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 16:34:06 +0100, nemofish wrote:

nce based on their guarantee.

Were they going to install a boiler in each bedroom?

It did seem ridiculous at the time. In fact the salesman (he
certainly wasn't a heating engineer) who provided the quote even suggested
installing 2 smaller boilers to reduce the costs. My local heating
engineer who is currently undertaking the work can think of no reason
whatsoever why this might have been a good solution. I have to say that
BG have not left me with a good impression and I would steer clear.

There are some circumstances in which two smaller appliances might just be
the better way forward but they are not likely to be found in the majority
of homes.

I have seen two combi boilers in a 6 bedroom house. A few years ago I did
an 8 bed, 4 bath room house using a combi + a 33kW Conventional.

I am so confident of the mark up of BG that I say to people I'll quote 75%
of BG's price on the basis of their specification, site unseen. If I look
at it I'll likely quote less and/or suggest a better specified system.

I note an article from this month's _Gas Installer_.

Title : BG job cuts are 'part of business' transformation.
....This transformation indicates the move from a customer base growth model
to a model orientated towards growing margins....

I.e. Uptil now they think they have been trying to get as many customers
as possible now they are trying to charge as much as possible.

I find it hard to beleive they have been gaining market share, anecdotally
I would have beleived they are losing it hand over fist. OTHO I'm seeing
the (possible small) fraction of people who are disgruntled with BG.

In which case I'm truly astounded what people are prepared to pay (BG) for
heating.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk