Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Ampex F4460 reel to reel.

"Sofa Slug" wrote in message
On 12/17/2014 10:18 AM, wrote:

The OEM flat belt though was very tired and had "assumed the
position"

of an oval from sitting in one position unused for so long. I
couldn't find anything around here having that circumference that was
2.0 mm thick so as a temporary measure I substituted a much thinner
belt. There is a very slight amount of wow which can be seen when
looking at the capstan flywheel with the strobe using this substitute
belt, and I'm guessing that it could be stretching back and forth
ever so slightly as it spins, but you really don't notice it on music
and it's only temporary until I can find something a little more
appropriate. I wouldn't think that a thinner belt would contribute to
a speed error, or am I wrong in making that assumption? Lenny

I would put the correct belt on there before getting into other minutia,
otherwise you may just end up chasing your tail.

Seconded. I have had many Aiwas that use a single motor dual cassette deck
come through my workshop over the years, that have had the main drive belts
replaced with two of dissimilar thicknesses. One might be a 1 mm square
section and the other 1.2 mm. When this is the case, it is impossible to get
both decks running at the same speed, even though it is a single motor
driving both. When two belts of the same thickness are fitted speed on both
decks is identical.

Arfa