Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Casting practice

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 13:16:30 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"David R. Birch" fired this volley in news:m79oel011g1
:

Whats a good ratio of trout to pound of molten aluminum?

Does it matter if they are brown or rainbow?

I find roughly about ten or twelve pounds of brookies to a half-ounce of
casting alloy -- just roughly. Usually, the metal is "lost" after too
many re-castings, and must be replenished.

That ratio can be increased significantly with the right surface finish
in the mold.

With the addition of sodium chloride, one can get the ratio up to a
couple-hundred pounds of blues per ounce of casting alloy.

Lloyd

But brookies and rainbows are suckers for metal. Browns tend to be
more demanding.

For them, the question is how many pounds of brownies do you get per
wood duck? We won't lower ourselves to think about how many pounds of
minnows it might take.

--
Ed Huntress