Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Roadside assistance insurance

On 12/22/2014 12:10 PM, KenK wrote:
I've heard from several sources that auto insurance companies tend to
increase their charges if claims are made. As I see it, the most likely
claim would be a flat tire change if the policy covered such. Mine charges
$7 a year for this, towing, etc. Should I buy AAA or AARP roadside
assistence insurance - ~$55 a year - and drop the coverage on the auto
policy? I suspect an insurance rate increase is going to be much more than
the $55.

Or am I wrong and such a claim or claims will not cause an increase - nor
windshield cracks - only accidents, or whatever, caused by the policy
owner's driving errors?

It takes 7 yr w/o a claim to break even on the additional 1 yr
cost--doesn't look like a good deal to me...

I've used the windshield coverage several times (once on each of several
vehicles, not multiple on one) and seen no indication of getting
"dinged" (so to speak) for it by Farm Bureau (not State Farm nor Farmers
or one of the multitude of others with "Farm" in their name). I'd make
no claim on a commercial carrier rather than a mutual company.

My best guess would be it'll be carrier-dependent and also frequency and
cost of any claims dependent rather than a generic rule, however. That
is, you get stranded somewhere in the middle of the AZ, UT, NV desert
country 250 mi from anywhere and it'll cost a whole lot more for 'em to
come and get you than if you're in the 'burbs somewhere 10 minutes from
a service center.