Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Casting practice

On Mon, 22 Dec 2014 11:01:19 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I can help with casting:

First tie on what you will be casting. Then turn on all the brakes, and set
the spool tension until so that from shoulder height it drops to the ground
with only about one loose wrap as when it stops with no thumb pressure. Now
practice at that setting with light side arm flicks. Once you have your
hand trained for that you can let off some of the brakes or lighten the
spool tension to cast better. Use your thumb to lightly feel the spool as
it spins out while casting, and if it feels like its bunching up clamp down
with your thumb to stop a bad cast. If you continue to have an issue with
backlash stretch out as far as you think you will cast on average, and put a
wrap of tape around the spool. Then reel up over the layer of tape.
Practice until you can make good casts anywhere in that range 99% of the
time.

LOL.

I'm glad you did it. I was going to suggest some tips for timing the
backcast, and to stay away from shooting heads until he got that right
with a double-taper, but I restrained myself.

--
Ed Huntress