Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Casting practice

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

It's been a while since I molded and cast anything , so I decided
to get a little practice today . First melt was an old cast aluminum
decorative skeleton key . Wall hanging doodad , about 2 feet long
and 4 or 5 lbs of aluminum . Next was to mold up a disc that'll be
an end cap on a ball mill cylinder . That went well so I cut up a
couple of ingots snd fired the furnace back up . I'm going to have
to address the hydrogen porosity I'm seeing with some of my stock .
I've tried chlorine pool granules and that works well enough , but
the fumes are dangerous so I'm thinking about bubbling some CO2 in
the melt to degas . Anyway , the pour came out well too other than
the H2 microbubbles , and that piece is in the lathe now for
machining .
--
Snag
As soon as I get the rest of my sand up here

The clerk at MG Stevens told me the porosity meant my sand was too
damp, though he gave me a small bag of broken degassing pellets.
http://www.mgstevens.com/

I might take my patterns to a local art foundry:
http://www.granitestatefoundry.com/

So far I've built up machine parts that could be candidates for
casting by welding, annealing and forging/jacking out the shrinkage
distortions. Unlike casting all the metal doesn't have to be heated
red-hot at the same time, and it gives the tensile strength of steel
rather than aluminum.
-jsw

My understanding of hydrogen gassing in aluminum is that it's from the
propane flame and dirty feed stock - and those degassing pellets are
basically the same thing as pool chlorine IIRC . What you're talking about
is probably surface porosity , which can be caused by excess moisture in the
sand . Too hot a melt can contribute to that too . What I'm talking about is
throughout the entire casting . After looking at where I've already machined
this blank , all I've got this time is surface defects most likely caused by
being too hot and the rough sand I used for my first batches of greensand .
The rest of my crushed olivine and bentonite is coming home the day after
Christmas . Then I'll have the materials to make finer-grained molding sand
..
--
Snag
And as much else of my stuff as will fit in the SUV-