Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I hate plumbing repairs

"jloomis" wrote in
:

plumbing repairs always, and I mean always, take at least 2 trips to
the hardware....if you are lucky.

john

The only repairs I haven't had take two trips to the store were the "new
guts in a box" toilet repair kits. They include almost everything for a
standard toilet, so if it's not in the box you'll probably need to
replace the toilet. That reminds me... One of the toilet bolts worked
its way loose from the flange... I gotta get a new wax ring and remount
the toilet.

Three trips seems to be about average, and I've started to overbuy on the
first trip. Need a PVC coupling? Pick up 3-4. Some times it works, but
usually it guarantees that (a) Murphy's Law will kick in, and the part
that needs fixed is something else and (b) I'll have to make another trip
to the store, if for nothing else but to return the extras.

One fellow suggested buying caps for the pipes you'll be working on
before you start. That way, if you have to stop working for some reason
you can cap the pipe off and get the water back on. Shutoff valves
aren't always 100%.

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.