Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius Arnie Goetchius is offline

Default SOLVED: Water pipe in basement vibrating when first floortoilet flushed.

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Arnie Goetchius"
wrote in message
SOLVED: I had a cold water pipe vibrating in the
basement as a result of
flushing the toilet on the first floor. The
pipes in the basement were
vibrating and making a loud humming sound that
could be heard throughout
the house. The humming sound started as the
water in the toilet was
about 90% full and the water valve started to
close. As the water valve
was closing, the valve started to vibrate and
the vibration was
broadcast all over the basement. As soon as the
valve closed completely,
the humming stopped. We bent the rod to the
float ball and that cured
the problem. Amazingly simple fix.

So the valve shutoff point coincided with the top
of the overflow pipe?
Bending the rod lowered the shutoff point to get
it to work but why
did it change over time. Perhaps the float has a
very small leak and is
increasing the weight of the float causing it to
'sink' a bit and raising the
water level shutoff point.
phil k.

That's possible. The main thing is that I was looking in the basement
where the pipes were vibrating instead of going right to the source
which was the toilet. If it happens again, I just replace the whole
water valve assembly. At least I now know to look at the toilet to
isolate the problem.