Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Casting practice

It's been a while since I molded and cast anything , so I decided to get a
little practice today . First melt was an old cast aluminum decorative
skeleton key . Wall hanging doodad , about 2 feet long and 4 or 5 lbs of
aluminum . Next was to mold up a disc that'll be an end cap on a ball mill
cylinder . That went well so I cut up a couple of ingots snd fired the
furnace back up . I'm going to have to address the hydrogen porosity I'm
seeing with some of my stock . I've tried chlorine pool granules and that
works well enough , but the fumes are dangerous so I'm thinking about
bubbling some CO2 in the melt to degas . Anyway , the pour came out well too
other than the H2 microbubbles , and that piece is in the lathe now for
machining .
--
Snag
As soon as I get the rest of my sand up here