Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Robinson Steve Robinson is offline

Default I hate plumbing repairs

Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 18:58:19 -0800, Gramps' shop wrote:

I think I may have mentioned (on more than one occasion) how much I
hate plumbing. This week I was faced with two challenges -- a
nonfunctioning fill valve on a Kohler one-piece toilet and a slow
drain in the shower.

I've got a continuing challenge. A shower that leaks water out from
underneath and even into the basement - but only when running. So
far:

1. Doesn't leak when shut off so no problem in the piping below the
valve.

2. Valve showed evidence of a slight leak as corrosion on the brass
so it was replaced - still leaks.

3. Plumber took off the shower head and replaced it with a piece of
pipe - sealed on the end. Turned on the water, turned it off, and
went away for a day. Still had pressure in that pipe when he came
back, so no leak in or above the valve.

4. Shower head that had been removed showed a little thread damage
so we replaced it. Still leaks.

5. I put a seal over the drain and filled the shower basin with
water up to the 3-4" ledge. It took better than 24 hours to
gradually leak under the seal, which was just one of those flat
rubber disks. So no leak in the shower stall floor.

So what's left? I suppose there could be a leak where the drain
screws into the pipe, but considering the way that fitting works it's
highly unlikely. I'll check it to be sure.

The only other thing I can think of is to seal the floor and walls
with some of that rubberized finish like they make for tool handles.
I can peel it off after the test.

I've been ignoring it for a month or so hoping a solution will spring
into my mind but that doesn't seem to be happening :-).

The problems obviously with the shower head and or its connection to
the pipe work

Does it leak when your using the shower, if thats the case it could be
water run off from whoever is using the shower, hairline crack or
movement when you load the shower up with a person.

try putting some pottasium permanganate in the pipework in water and
presuurise it up after disconnecting it from the mains, it should stain
up the leak