Posted to uk.d-i-y
Corporal Jones[_2_] Corporal Jones[_2_] is offline

Default OT - effectiveness of recycling?

On 21/12/2014 10:01, David wrote:
On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:10:54 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

snip
However, I understand that the film stuff is only bonded at the outside
and
this is cropped off. snip

Ah!

Makes sense to crop the rim off - I just wasn't sure that they would go to
the extra expense of doing this.

Cheers

Dave R

Semi-rigid packaging is either PVC or more commonly nowadays for food is
Apet, to heat seal the top film to the pack uses mostly PP and this is
laminated to the film during the production process.
Just to cut of the sealed area still leaves the laminated PP over the
rest of the pack.
Vacuum packs i.e. bacon cooked meats etc. are Nylon laminated with PP,
again this is an overall coating.

As for Co2, rigid cooked food containers contains 75% Co2 the rest being
N2, you often get a whiff when opening the packs.
Fresh red meats contain 30% Co2, the rest being N2 and a large volume of
O2 which keeps the meat red for presentation.

As for my recycle bin they allow all plastics & paper including
yoghurt/butter tubs which are PS which previously went to landfill so
everything goes in there if at all plastic, always plenty of room in the
general bin come day of collection which is every other week.
Just recently they now take small electrical goods and batteries, just
have to leave them in a carrier bag next to the bin, also Xmas trees the
first week in Jan.

My green bin takes garden refuse apart from cooked items which I put out
for the fox's/Badgers, peelings etc. go on the compost heap along with
shredded personal documents, anything else I burn, I love a good bonfire.

I come under Central Beds Council and with no extra charge on top of the
tax, they seem to be doing a decent job.

Barry