Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - effectiveness of recycling?

In article ,
alan_m writes:
On 21/12/2014 00:39, Bill Wright wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Its all a green con anyway.

no one uses council compost because its likely contaminated. nearly
all waste ends up as landfill anyway despite what you do to it

The glass gets sent to China for use as hardcore, at a massive cost in
CO2 emissions.

Much of the recycling is not CO2 effective. Add also the environmental
cost of people transporting glass to the collection points in cars.

Well "driving to the bottle bank" is a euphemism for pointless recycling!

I only started recycling glass when they started collecting it from
the kerbside.

As I've posted before people sort glass into the various colours, place
in in the nominated bins and then the truck comes along and it ALL gets
mixed up in the same load back to the 'recycling' plant.

Those date back to the original (failed) attempts to reuse the glass
as bottles and whatnot - that never worked. The giant bins with
compartments for each type of glass - the separators between the
compartments were long since taken out.

--
Andrew Gabriel