Posted to rec.woodworking
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Prices for objects of wood

On 20/12/2014 6:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2014 3:30 PM, graham wrote:

I was once asked how much I would charge for a salad bowl by someone who
wanted to buy one as a wedding present. I checked with a friend who made
his living as a woodturner and quoted a fair price that wouldn't
undercut him.
Of course she was stunned with the quote; I think she thought that she
could get it for peanuts.
Graham

You probably were over charging. After all, that big hunk of walnut is
about the same price as a 2 x 4 stud at Home Depot and it only takes a
few minutes to turn. The machine does all the work.

No effing way! Those big chunks cost a lot to replace if you depend on a
wood merchant. The machine doesn't do all the work! The skill of the
turner makes a difference. You should see some of the monstrosities that
I've seen turned out by guys with no feel for form.

They figured you'd be cheaper than Wal Mart.
Most people have no clue.

With that I agree! Not only in woodworking but also in my profession.
Companies with multi-million dollar budgets seem to think that I will
work for peanuts when they are depending on my considerable experience
to solve their problems. Fortunately, at my stage in life, I don't lose
any sleep if they decide to look elsewhere.
Graham