Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I hate plumbing repairs

"Gramps' shop" wrote:

I think I may have mentioned (on more than one occasion) how much I
hate plumbing. This week I was faced with two challenges -- a
nonfunctioning fill valve on a Kohler one-piece toilet and a slow
drain in the shower.

I elected to tackle the toilet first. Armed with iPhone photos of the
innards and the model number I went to the local Ace. They didn't
have the Kohler part, but had an under $10 just-as-good-as generic.
Took it home and, yes, it fit, but no it wouldn't stop running.

Called the plumbing supply shop and they had the right part, only it
came as part of a $134 rebuild kit. Bit the bullet, due to ongoing
heat from you know who. Toilet works great.

The last time I had shower drain problems I called the pros, who
lightened my wallet for the better part of $200 for the privilege of
15 minutes with the electric snake. This time, I took out my $3
plastic probe -- the one with the sharp prongs running the length --
and in 10 minutes had full flow restored.

Anybody need a Kohler flapper assembly?
Well at least you keep the money at home in Wisc.

Reminds me of the guy who called a plumber to unplug a drain.

Plumber spent about 10 minutes, cleared the drain and presented
his bill for $300.

The guy started screaming that he was a doctor and only charged
$75 for a 20 minute office visit.

"I know", said the plumber, "that's why I quit being a doctor."

Lew