Posted to rec.woodworking
Gramps' shop Gramps' shop is offline

Default I hate plumbing repairs

I think I may have mentioned (on more than one occasion) how much I hate plumbing. This week I was faced with two challenges -- a nonfunctioning fill valve on a Kohler one-piece toilet and a slow drain in the shower.

I elected to tackle the toilet first. Armed with iPhone photos of the innards and the model number I went to the local Ace. They didn't have the Kohler part, but had an under $10 just-as-good-as generic. Took it home and, yes, it fit, but no it wouldn't stop running.

Called the plumbing supply shop and they had the right part, only it came as part of a $134 rebuild kit. Bit the bullet, due to ongoing heat from you know who. Toilet works great.

The last time I had shower drain problems I called the pros, who lightened my wallet for the better part of $200 for the privilege of 15 minutes with the electric snake. This time, I took out my $3 plastic probe -- the one with the sharp prongs running the length -- and in 10 minutes had full flow restored.

Anybody need a Kohler flapper assembly?

Larry