Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lee Gleason Lee Gleason is offline

Default tektronix 465 repair

I have a crusty old TEK 465 I saved from going into the garbage a few
years back. Finally got time to pull it off the shelf and see what's going
on with it.

I was told it was completely dead and not repairable when I salvaged it -
I thought, I'll be the judge of that. Initially it was stone dead - no
trace, no lights, no fan nothing. I found a 1.5 A fuse (F1419) blown, and
when replaced, it would blow again immediately. None of the panel lights or
the fan would come on, and all the power supply voltages were low.

I found one bad capacitor that was grounding the +15, when it started
smoking (some faults are easier to locate than others). Replaced it and then
found another cap, C1419, that was shorted that was blowing F1419. Replaced
it and now the lights and scale illumination and fan come on.

When I press the beam finder, I get a large dot flash and then nothing.
Letting off the beam finder and adjusting the controls for a normal trace,
I noticed that the whole screen is sort of illuminated. If I slow the sweep
way down, I see that a dim 3/4 inch wide by whole screen tall bar goes
across the screen, at about the rate you'd expect on the slow sweep
settings - so that looks like the HV and the time base stuff is more or less
working.

I'm guessing I have some sort of vertical amplifier problem. Before diving
back into the schematics, I thought I'd ask, anyone ever seen this symptom
before?

--
Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants