Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default Prices for objects of wood

On Sat, 20 Dec 2014 13:57:58 -0500
wrote:

Trying to recoup more than your costs on anything that distantly
resembles something that can be purchaced made in Japan, Korea,
Mexico, India, or VietNam is basically a fool's errand.

Yes, competing with that is a fool's errand, is that what you're
saying? Also buyers expecting the price to be the same are fools or
they just don't care, which is not foolish just ignorance probably.

When I build something I do it for the satisfaction of making it
myself and knowing there is quality there that "money cannot buy"

You won't get that satisfaction if you sell it? Or you're not willing to
sell it at a loss? Or you don't want to sell? I don't understand.

I think it comes down to going to venues where the works are created
locally and that fact is advertised and maintained and adhered to.
I know some venues that require the seller to be the maker.

If I give it as a gift it is to someone who appreciates that.

Gifts are a nice way to share works.