Posted to rec.woodworking
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default Prices for objects of wood

On 20/12/2014 11:33 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/20/2014 12:52 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
What kind of money will people pay you for your works?

In another thread about cutting boards it was said that the cool
cutting boards sold well. It made me wonder at what price?

What have you sold lately and how did you decide on the price?

I wonder how prices trend. Higher in big cities, etc., etc.
Lower in places where there is a higher concentration of woodworkers.

My works? Most I ever got was the cost of wood. I don't do it for
money so I refuse to take any for a hobby.

No would pay what I'd want to earn.

Most of the stuff I see for sale at craft shows and the like are in the
$10 to $50 range. It seems that is the sweet spot for impulse buys.

I was once asked how much I would charge for a salad bowl by someone who
wanted to buy one as a wedding present. I checked with a friend who made
his living as a woodturner and quoted a fair price that wouldn't
undercut him.
Of course she was stunned with the quote; I think she thought that she
could get it for peanuts.
Graham