Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why Build Excellent CAD Into Your Awesome CAM Product?

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:01:03 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 17:35:11 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:14:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Right, and threads aren't single-pointed on an antique leather
belt driven lathe, except by home hobbyists who haunt
rec.crafts.metalworking.
-jsw

Watch it bud , yer hittin' pretty close to home there ... though
come to think of it that doesn't apply to me . My antique lathe
is using an automotive serp belt for drive .
--
Snag

I like the leather belt drive. It disengages instantly when I
thread right up to a shoulder, while the motor is still coasting
down, and lets a bit dig in without much trouble, which I was
glad of when reworking some solid copper truck starter terminals
into current shunt bolts.
-jsw

Oh I'm using the original drive mechanism , just the belt has been
replaced . I was using clipped belts from Logan , but kept pulling
the clips out . At 40 bucks a pop for a new belt , I had my son the
parts guy get me a serp belt of the correct length . I can actually
stall the motor now if I try .

Flip it over, Terry. That'll relieve that little misstep.

I seldom tighten the belt that much , no need to . I got really
tired of having to regrind cutters because the belt slipped in a
heavy cut and the cutter welded to the work .

I can see where that would be counterproductive.

I've used this belt with both sides against the
pulleys , not a whole lot of difference .

That's interesting. Are you running on cogs or smooth pulleys?

Smooth flat pulleys , and no cogs on the belt , just lengthwise ribs . It
doesn't need to be all that tight unless I'm making hoggin' cuts to remove
stock quickly .
I really need to rebuild the reversing tumbler and stud gear assemblies .
Not only are the bushings worn , but the gear teeth have thinned enough to
detect with the naked eye . That 150 bucks I spent on a 16dp gear cutter set
is going to save me like a thousand on parts for that .
--
Snag