Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default grab bars installation

On 12/19/2014 4:20 PM, Cal Dershowitz wrote:

The house is in Oakland, CA. It has real 2 x 4's, lathe and plaster,
and tile in the shower.

Q1) Should I expect 16" on center framing?

Crap shoot on a house like that. Have you tried a stud finder? Not
sure how they work with lath. I'd try some holes in a closet wall.

When at all possible, I want to be fastening onto studs.

Q2) If not possible, then are toggle bolts the best way to go?

There are anchors made for them. Never used them but probably better
than regular toggles.

Q3) What brand would you go with?

The bars I put in the upstairs bath came from the plumbing supply but I
don't recall the brand. Downstairs i used Moen. I'd say they are equal
in stability, quality, and nearly identical flanges. The Moen has a
slightly smoother grab if that matters.

Q4) What in the world of adhesives might is use to promote a better
bond between the flange and the ceramic walls that might have 1/2" holes
drilled in it? Isn't there some chance that water could find its way in
if I don't put something goopy where I half 1/2" tunnels for the toggle
bolts? Off the top of my head, I was thinking of ordinary bathroom
caulk, epoxy, or silicon.

I don't think water will be much of a problem. Run a bead of silicone
on the inside edge of the flange and it will seal with no visible caulk.

You will be able to Google placement easily if you have questions.
Every shower should have them even if you are not old.