Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why Build Excellent CAD Into Your Awesome CAM Product?

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 15:14:39 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

Right, and threads aren't single-pointed on an antique leather
belt
driven lathe, except by home hobbyists who haunt
rec.crafts.metalworking.
-jsw

Watch it bud , yer hittin' pretty close to home there ... though
come to think of it that doesn't apply to me . My antique lathe is
using an automotive serp belt for drive .
--
Snag

I like the leather belt drive. It disengages instantly when I
thread
right up to a shoulder, while the motor is still coasting down, and
lets a bit dig in without much trouble, which I was glad of when
reworking some solid copper truck starter terminals into current
shunt
bolts.
-jsw

Oh I'm using the original drive mechanism , just the belt has been
replaced . I was using clipped belts from Logan , but kept pulling
the clips out . At 40 bucks a pop for a new belt , I had my son the
parts guy get me a serp belt of the correct length . I can actually
stall the motor now if I try .

--
Snag

I set the belt loose enough that the motor can come up to speed if I
forget to disengage the back gear lever after tightening a collet, and
I can slip the spindle by tugging on the chuck key. Chucks are never
difficult to unscrew.
-jsw