Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why Build Excellent CAD Into Your Awesome CAM Product?

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 10:14:03 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 08:15:20 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 12/19/2014 12:07 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/17/2014 8:11 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

jon , you're a prick and every thing you post is bull**** . Your
Linkedin group is bull**** too . Why don't you just die and save
us all a lot of trouble?

Just tell us what you REALLY think.

I sure do enjoy an evening of Medleys Mellow Bourbon shots
occasionally ... of course the morning after isn't always pleasant
. But I don't have to be drunk to bitch-slap banqueer. Hey jonny ,
I'm still waiting to hear about the last or ANY project you
actually did . In the next few days I plan to start making the
patterns and casting the pieces to build a Gingery shaper . I think
I can build a rotating workholder assembly to cut helical gears
using gears I will make on my milling machine to get the rotation
needed .

There's an ambitious man. You could step back and consider smelting
the aluminum for the Gingery shaper, but then you're have to build a
hydroelectric plant first. d8-)

That's a heck of a project, Terry. I suspect you'll have a lot to
tell us for...hmmm...maybe a year, if you have a lot of spare time.

This calculator may save some time:

http://www.mesys.ch/?page_id=169&lang=en

Thanks Ed , that page is getting bookmarked . The gearcutting will
come later , for now I'll be happy to just get the shaper built and
running . And spare time is the one thing I do have , being retired
has opened up a whole world of possibilities . I pretty much do what
I want when I want these days - as long as it doesn't conflict
much with what the wife wants .

That sounds like a good retirement. Some people find it easy; my dad
couldn't stand it, and went back to work --three times. g I almost
tried it last year, until I was asked to edit a fabricating magazine,
and I couldn't resist. Now I'm working more than I have in years. But
I'm loving it.

One question about your project: Are you planning to use involute
cutters, like the shape used in gear milling, or are you trying to
replicate a Fellows gear shaper and generating the teeth?

It it's the former, it sounds like a big challenge, but doable. If
it's the latter, abandon hope all ye who enter here.

Probably involute . I have Ivan Law's book on gearcutting for a place to
start . And I have access to the largest database in the world ...

--
Snag