Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default is this something wonky with newly installed conrete floor ?

On Friday, December 19, 2014 8:34:35 AM UTC-5, robb wrote:
So my GC/Builder poured our basement floor and garage floor.

So i asked about cutting one crack relief groove between a smallish 8 x 10
extension tongue off main garage floor for a shop/storage area.

I figured that 8x10 tongue would eventually be source of a crack so I
wanted to control where crack would go ... so cut a crack guide groove .

1st - is that sound logic ?

Yes, IDK how many feet apart they are supposed to be, but they are important
so that the concrete can move at the control joint, instead of cracking
randomly.

2nd - Is this next part WONKY ?

I go to check out the progress and i find that alot more grooves than i
asked for have been cut ??

There a big cross ( + ) cut on the main garage floor

There is a huge lattice # (or two big connected crosses ++) cut into the
basement floor ? didn't ask for any of those so i guess the GC/builder
took it upon themselves to do.

Is that wonky, good, bad, useless etc, ideas , thoughts and experiences
welcomed ???

Thanks,
robb

You definitely want them to break up large spans. I'd say about every 10ft
or so, from what I see around here. I have a stamped concrete patio, where
they cut control joints, but only to break up the long side. The shorter
side, which is still probably ~15ft, they didn't cut in that direction.
15 years later, it's cracked, the run in the other direction with the cuts
every 10 ft or so, is fine.