Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Uninsulated floors in a Cape House , cold rooms

On Thursday, December 18, 2014 12:16:57 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 12/18/2014 11:06 AM, Phill B wrote:
Let see here
Regular Basement. Cement Walls, Water Pipes, Electrical, Phone and Cable Wires above, 2x6 flooring, plywood with oak floor above that
Electrical, Phone, and Cable Box on one back corner
Opposite corner has Boiler by Chimney

Mass Save guys came here, I asked and they told me not to insulate floor cause then the heat from basement will not get to 1st FL. I looked at the guy and said what Heat? From the Boiler by a brick wall that supports the base of a chimney at the side of house which is exposed to cold every winter

Only thing living in basement is the Rabbit
And stuff stored there

Yep...they're right in all likelihood that it's not a "win" for the house..

Insulate the outside barrier walls, etc., instead, and the basement
floor. See the link I posted elsewhere.

+1

No insulation in typical basement ceilings here in the NYC area either,
including new construction, so it's obviously not a code reqt.
They do insulate around the rim joist. Ground temp is around 50F year
round, so you only have a 20F delta. I guess insulation would get you
something, at least in the winter. In the summer, it would keep the
50F basement from helping with a small amount of similar cooling effect
though. Sealing any drafts from openings, basement windows, etc would
probably get you more benefit.