Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Speaker relay protection

"Speaker toast.
Amp blown/DC. (2 amps bridged for sub, one probably OK)
Relay shorted from amp to speaker. "

Ho boy. I remember the thread about the magnets now.

Incidentally I suggested a cure for that welded relay problem. Just throw a good crossover cap across the contacts. So what if the amp still produces sound when the protection kicks in, you are blocking the DC which is the object.

I think like a 22 uF/200 volt cap designed for speaker crossovers would do it. Two hundred volts is ALOT of power into a speaker so it should be fairly immune to shorting out, which would defeat the prupose.

If you got more than 400 volts P-P gont to a dynamic speaker, just figure out an SCR crowbar circuit for it.